Dear Young Me,
I’m 25 today. Here’s a list of things I wish I had learned earlier:
- Time is the most important resource you have. Don’t waste it.
- If you don’t ask for what you want, you won’t get it. Asking for it isn’t enough either.
- Music is important. Listen to what has gone through centuries and inspired generations, forget about the rest.
- Instead of watching TV, watch the world you live in: the touristic places will tell you about a country’s history, the local pubs about its people.
- You’re not unique. Everybody is just like you, except they don’t tell you.
- Do never spend the money you don’t have yet.
- Write down every single thing you have to do, you’ll sleep better. GTD is a good way to do it.
- Love is just a chemical phenomenon, but it’s still awesome.
- Stuff you buy and services you pay are supposed to just work and for a long time. Choose wisely instead of spending your time and money on crap.
- Stop complaining about free healthcare and free education.
- Back up your data.
- Family will always be there for you. Be there for them too.
- Running is easy and good for you. The hardest part is to start: Couch to 5k will help you reach 5 kilometers and the RunKeeper platform will make you go further.
- Learn to forgive: everybody can make a mistake as long as they learn from it.
- Wikipedia is one of the most useful things we built. Think about how often you use it and give a few bucks to the creepy guy already.
- Guitar is easy to learn and a great way to express yourself. Start with the Beatles, don’t stop at the F chord and skip Oasis.
- Don’t force people to change their habits. Make them want to do it.
- You won’t be able to watch every good movie. Focus on the great ones.
- Be nice to most people and just ignore the assholes.
- Watch Friends.
- You have a lot to learn from your grandparents. Call them once a week.
- Find out what the teacher expects from you and prove him you understood. The key to success in school is to never be surprised.
- Don’t panic: if you can’t fix the issue, just wait until you have more information.
- Technology is not perfect yet, but it still does more than you could imagine five years ago. Give it a second while it’s going to space.
- Know how to order a beer wherever you go, and you’ll be safe.
ps: Stop riding your BMX with no hands, it’s going to end badly.